Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Refreshing Drink for the Scorching Summer!

I am on vacation…in Chennai…in the middle of Summer! Enough said, right? Even though it has been two years since my last visit to Chennai, everything just falls into place the minute I step out of the airport; covering all the holes left by the long gaps between visits.
Chennai is popular for many things, but is most notorious for its scorching summer. We even joke about the climate here saying it just gets Hot, Hotter, and Hottest!  I was talking to a friend of mine from college, who is in the U.K. now, and when I told him that I was visiting Chennai in May, he goes, " Are you KIDDING, Chennai in May?"  Well, we are no strangers to the Chennai heat, Gomathi and I have faced the scorching Kathiri sun many a times, so it's not a major issue  even now! Also, I get to ride my two wheeler, which is an experience on its own. Ask me to drive the car here, and I shudder.
Getting to the recipe for today, we are keeping it real simple.  Staying hydrated is extremely important, especially when the outside temperature ranges from the upper 30s to the low 40s..and the best thirst quencher is definitely water.  No worries about sugar and calories here! I had this refreshing drink at an Italian restaurant in San Diego and added it to my list of things to try in India.
Ingredients
Water
Cucumber (thin round slices)
Lemon/Lime (thin round slices)
Mint leaves
Basil/Tulsi leaves (optional)
Method
Take a container of your choice and add water(cold/room temperature). Add the thinly sliced cucumber and lemon. Add the mint and tulsi (if using) leaves, give it a good stir and let it sit for a while, allowing the flavors to blend. If using water at room temperature, you could chill it after adding all the ingredients. This makes for a really invigorating thirst-quencher. Try it out today! Bon Appétit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favourites