Friday, September 23, 2011

Whole Wheat Sundal


My mother in law was watching one of her regular cookery shows and I was at the dining table doing some work when I heard this recipe being made. I remembered having a small packet of whole wheat in my pantry and decided to try the dish. 
Ingredients
Whole wheat – 1 cup (soaked and sprouted)
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Red chillies – 2
Chopped green chilli – 1
Finely chopped ginger – 1 -1 ½ tsps
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves
Salt to taste
Lemon juice (optional)
Oil
Method
Soak the wheat overnight and then leave to sprout. I soaked in on Tuesday afternoon, threw away the water on Wednesday morning and let it sprout till Thursday. Once the wheat has sprouted, pressure cook till soft. Heat oil (I used gingelly) and add mustard seeds. Once they start spluttering add the red chillies, curry leaves, urad dal, ginger and green chillies. Sauté till the urad dal turns light brown and add the cooked wheat and mix well.
Add salt and cook till any excess water is gone. Add lemon juice and enjoy this healthy snack. Bon Appétit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favourites