Friday, June 24, 2011

Lotus Seeds in Palak (Spinach) Gravy (Serves 3-4)

When I was in India last month, my mother showed me a packet of white popcorn like product and asked me if I knew what it was. I had absolutely no clue. She told me they were lotus seeds, which her cousin had given her.
I looked it up online and found a few interesting recipes. This was the one I tried.
Ingredients

2 handfuls, about 3/4 cup - Lotus seeds
1 big bunch - Palak (spinach)
1 - Medium sized onion, finely chopped
2 (or more according to your taste) - Green chillies
1 tbsp - Oil
Garam masala – ½ tsp (optional)
Salt to taste
Water

Method

Clean and cook the spinach leaves and keep aside to cool. Blend spinach leaves, 1-2 tbsps of finely chopped onions and green chillies until smooth. In a pan, dry roast the lotus seeds till they turn slightly brown and crunchy. Keep aside. In the same pan, add oil and sauté the remaining chopped onions.
Add the spinach mixture and salt and let it boil for about five minutes. Once the mixture starts thickening, add the roasted lotus seeds and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes. If the gravy feels too thick, add a little bit of water. Add garam masala and mix well. Serve with rotis or rice.


 Recipe sent to http://akilaskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/10/dish-name-starts-with-l.html?utm_source=BP_recent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favourites