Friday, October 25, 2013

Upside Down Apple Cake


Have you ever done any fruit picking? My husband and I went apple and pear picking to a place called Julian in Southern California. While researching about the place, I read numerous comments about how people had loved the place and the experience and went back every year. The fruit picking part was definitely fun, since this was our first time…but I doubt if we would go back every year!
The town of Julian itself is this quaint little place, with just one main road where life happens. Every other place is filled with orchards and homes. This road is flanked by cozy restaurants and cafes, each serving their version of apple pie. I was, however, adamant that I would rather pick the fruit and make my own pie (I haven't gotten around to that…let's see.) Maybe I missed out on some awesome pie!!!
Well, anyway, we picked four varieties of pears and two varieties of apples (some others didn't taste that great) and had a total of 4.5 kgs of fruit by the end of an hour and a half stroll. What I liked most about the picking was that we were allowed to taste the fruit before deciding whether to pick more or not.
Our recommendation would be to go there at least once…just for the experience of picking your own fruit. It does have its own charm compared to buying fruits from neatly packed displays in the store.
Coming to today's recipe, it is an upside down apple cake that I made for some friends whom we met for dinner a few weeks ago. I made a small version to see how it would turn out, and when that tasted great, I confidently baked a bigger one.  So here's to making new friends and cherishing old ones.
Ingredients
Cake Batter
Wheat flour - 1 cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
Honey – ¼ cup
Milk – ¾ cup
Oil - 3 tbsps (I used olive oil)
Nutmeg – a pinch
Cinnamon – ½ tsp
For Upside Down Apples
Sliced apples – depending on the size and shape of the baking dish
Light/dark brown sugar – ½- ¾ cup
Butter – 2-3 tbsps
Cinnamon – a pinch (optional)
Method
Preheat the oven to 3500F.
Upside Down Apples
Heat together the butter and sugar, one low heat. Once the sugar and butter have melted completely, allow the mixture to simmer for about 3-4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile grease your baking dish and keep ready.

Slice the apples into rings/semi circles and place at the bottom of your greased baking dish. Make sure you cover the entire bottom and if you like even the sides. Take the butter-sugar mixture and pour over the apples, to cover completely.
Cake Batter
In a bowl, mix all the wet ingredients. In a different bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Pour onto the prepared apples and make sure the batter covers the apple slices well. Bake for about 25-30 minutes. I would recommend checking after about 20 minutes. If a toothpick or knife comes out clean, then your cake is done. 
The Sample Version
Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven and allow it to cool for 15 minutes. The cake should slide out easily, because the dish has been greased but you can run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake. Take the platter onto which you wish to remove the cake, place it on the baking dish and carefully turn it around.. Bon Appétit.
Note: The only upside down cake I was familiar with was a pineapple cake, but after coming to this country, I realized that upside down cakes could be made with practically any fruit, plums, pears, bananas, cherries…the list goes on.
 

2 comments:

  1. Ummm yummy! Yes this cake was truly awesome. Thanks a bunch for the recipe! Hope I'll try it soon. Thank goodness my kids can't read this yet or that day will have to be today!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shruti, you should definitely try it and let me know how it turns out! And it was a lot of fun meeting all of you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Favourites