Friday, April 20, 2012

Microwave Semiya Kesari

Semiya (vermicelli) or rava upma has always been once-in-a-blue-moon tiffin items at my home. And even on such rare days, these dishes were had with a lot of frowns. Yesterday was one such day. I was starting to make semiya upma when my husband suggested making semiya kesari instead of upma. I wasn’t too keen on doing the kesari, but gave in to make my husband happy.
My mother-in-law told me sometime back that she had done rava kesari in the microwave a few days back and had also mentioned that it was a real fast job. I wanted to try out the method and asked her for instructions. You would be amazed at how fast this dish can be done. So the next time you want to make a dessert in a jiffy, try this out :-)
Ingredients
Semiya – 1 cup (roasted)
Water/ milk – 2 cups
Sugar – 1-1 ½ cups (adjust according to your taste levels)
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Cahews – 1tsp
Raisins – 1 tsp
Saffron/ Food colour – a pinch (soaked in a little milk)
Method
Boil water or milk in a microwave safe bowl for about 2-3 minutes. Add the roasted semiya to the boiling water and cook in the microwave for 2 ½ minutes. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir in sugar and saffron or food colour. Mix well and cook in the microwave for another 1 ½ minutes. Remove from the microwave and garnish with cashews and raisins sautéed in ghee.

Serve hot or chilled.

7 comments:

  1. We love kheer of any kind. This looks good.
    Love Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was yummy yummy...

    Happy guinea pig/husband

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desserts are almost an everyday affair in my house not just on special occasions. So I love quick fix recipes.......will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks sadaf, do try it and let us know how you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Favourites