Monday, February 20, 2012

Eggplant Thokku

My husband has been asking me to make this eggplant side dish which is served with Biriyani. I have never had this combination before and had no idea what it was. Anyway, a few days ago, my mother-in-law said she saw this brinjal thokku recipe on TV and I had to try it out. Even though it has a little too much oil for my liking, the taste was too good to miss.
Ingredients
Diced eggplant – 2 cups
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – ½ tsp
Fenugreek powder – ½ tsp
Chilli powder to taste
Thick tamarind pulp to taste
Salt to taste
Jaggery to taste (optional)
Mustard seeds – 1-1 ½ tsps
Gingelly oil – ¼ cup or more
Method
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. As they splutter, add the diced eggplant and sauté till they are tender. Add the tamarind pulp, salt, turmeric, chilli and asafoetida and jaggery (if using). Let it come to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the pieces are well cooked and almost completely mashed and the oil comes to the surface.
Remove from the heat, add the fenugreek powder and serve with biriyani, idly, dosa or chapathi. Bon Appétit. 


Recipe sent to

5 comments:

Favourites